Sunday, July 14, 2013

A Date With My Hubs and One With the Doc…

A fabulous Summer date with my hubs!  First up for the day was a trip to Little Italy’s Farmer’s Market in downtown San Diego.  I’ve been wanting to check it out for months now and with the princesses gone for a couple of days it was the perfect time…the perfect take-my-time and enjoy, rather than a time to grab-and-go because nobody wants to walk around anymore!

We drooled over fresh baskets of berries…DSCN7138

Had our eye on loads of fresh cherries (that were just a bit to pricey to indulge in)…DSCN7139

And definitely had our share of good eats!  It was a beautiful day, but the hubs was a bit on the warm side, so we stopped for a fresh lemonade.  He opted for the watermelon lemonade, which he absolutely loved and I thought it was so, so.  I had a hard time tasting the watermelon, but the lemonade itself was awesome and hit the spot!  I forgot to snap a picture, but I stopped at a “juice bar” and ordered a glass of “Green Go” juice that had kale, broccoli, spinach, cucumber, ginger, apple juice and a few other things I know I’m missing.  It tasted so good and so fresh that I ended up filling up on that for my lunch…I’m sure all the samples along the way had a bit to do with satisfying my hunger for the afternoon!

DSCN7142

The hubs, however, had his eye on some bbq for lunch.  He ordered two breakfast tacos filled with brisket and said they were so delicious!DSCN7143 While he ate devoured his lunch, I did some people watching! 

DSCN7145

I think I left with enough produce to last a week or two and I can’t wait to go back!  With full and satisfied tummies we took a quick drive to one of our favorite spots to hang out together…Seaport Village.

DSCN7147

We took our traditional walk along the “boardwalk” and ventured out onto the pier.

DSCN7150

Stopped in some shops and found some outrageous finds…DSCN7152 Not so sure about flossing with “food” flavors…

DSCN7153 According to the hubs, bacon does make all things better!

DSCN7154

After a few hours of walking we were ready to fuel up again, so we headed over to one of our favorite downtown restaurants…

DSCN7155

I was a little disappointed in the service this time around, hence why there are no pictures of dinner.  While my “California Salad” with Grilled Fish ended up being quite delicious, I was a little less than happy that I had to send it back to the kitchen twice!  Sometimes it stinks to have to make so many “special requests,” but a girl’s gotta do what a girl’s gotta do!

And speaking of things that I’ve gotta do…I had an appointment with a new doctor this week and I’m praying that this will finally be a turning point for me.  If you’ve been following my posts for awhile now, you know that I struggle with lots of stomach issues which, in turn, over the last year have developed into more emotional and physical struggles.  A few months ago I had the privilege of getting to see a doctor who takes an unconventional approach to medicine and focuses on healing the body, rather than just treating the symptoms.  Through his care I discovered that I have adrenal insufficiency and MTHFR (a type of genetic mutation on one of my chromosomes).  We had hoped and prayed that by beginning to heal my body through diet, some cleanses and a regimen of Vitamin B shots my adrenal glands would kick into gear and my body would begin absorbing the vitamins and minerals it was lacking.  Unfortunately, after some trial and error my body decided to go into what he called “lockdown mode” and nothing seemed to be working.  This is when I began to have more bouts of horrible stomach pain and emotionally I became so drained.  At my last visit my doctor said that he wanted to hand me over to yet another doctor who was more specialized in the types of problems I was dealing with.  The hubs wishes I was a little more optimistic about the visit, but it’s been such a LONG journey that has seemed to have no end in sight. 

I know God is, and has been, walking hand in hand with me through the good days and the bad.  As I have spent time with the Lord this week these words spoke so clearly to me and I held on to those words as I walked into the doctor’s office!

Psalm 16:8-9 says, “I have set the Lord always before me.  Because He is at my right hand, I will not be shaken.  Therefore my heart is glad and my tongue rejoices; my body will also rest secure…”

After an hour visit and a whole lot of information, supplements and a boatload of tests to be taken, I am hopeful that these next several weeks will look a whole lot brighter!  The hubs is pretty stoked that he gets to give me B-Complex shots every other day and I am pretty stoked that I am finally going to have some tests done that should have been taken a long time ago…a food allergy panel with Celiac Disease, a DNA/Genetics test (to determine what type of genetic mutation I have), and one last test that I think will give the doctor a look at how all my cells are working together.  Like I said, it was a WHOLE LOT of information to try and absorb at one time…now I’m tired!

Come to Me, all you who are weary & burdened, and I will give you rest. ~Jesus Matthew 11:28

(source)

Hoping to be back to some “regularly” scheduled posts with yummy food and such!  Sorry for the rather lengthy and somewhat boring posts lately!

Blessings,

J’lene

1 comment:

  1. i am so hopeful and prayerful for you that you finally begin to get the right answers and in turn find relief. your date looked amazing! i just may have to beg josh to take me to that farmer's market one of these weekends :)

    ReplyDelete