Sunday, August 5, 2012

Oh my pizza pie!

It’s been a long time since I’ve enjoyed a good slice of pizza, but the funny thing is the only thing I’ve really missed about it is snatching up everyone’s leftover crust!  I tell the hubs it’s a pretty even exchange…you can can have my grease if I can have your dough! 

So, determined as I am, I put “Pizza” on the menu this last week in hopes of being able to create a delicious gluten free crust that the whole family would love.  I also knew going into this that it would definitely have to be yeast free because yeast and I still don’t get along very well!  And being the fact that I am loving the taste of almond flour in my baked goods lately I knew I wanted to incorporate it in this crust.  So, here’s what happened…a delicious thick crust with nice crisp edges that everyone so lovingly shared with me!

DSCN4978 Almond Flax Pizza Crust

Yields 1 12-inch pizza crust

Ingredients:

1 1/4 cups flax meal (you can grind your own flax seeds)

1/2 cup blanched almond flour

1/2 cup almond meal

1 tsp sea salt

2 tsp baking powder

1 Tbsp raw honey

1 tsp Italian mixed dried herbs (I used oregano, rosemary, and basil)

3 large organic eggs, beaten well

3 Tbsp coconut oil, melted

1/2 cup water

toppings of choice

DSCN4968

Directions:

Preheat oven to 425 degrees.  Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or silicon baking mat.  Set aside.

Combine the flaxseed meal, almond flour, almond meal, salt, baking powder and herbs.  Mix together until free of lumps.

In a small mixing bowl, beat together the eggs, oil, honey and water until smooth.

Pour the wet ingredients into the dry mixture.  Mix well until smooth.

Transfer batter onto the prepared baking sheet and press into desired shape (using the back of a spoon or spatula works well to spread out the batter).

Bake for 15 minutes in the center of the oven until cooked through or edges are slightly golden.

Add your favorite toppings and then return to the oven to bake for an additional 10-15 minutes.

DSCN4970 You can certainly make your crust thinner, but I thoroughly enjoyed this fluffy crust!  I started building our pizza with a generous layer of freshly made roasted tomato sauce.

DSCN4971 Then topped it off with some spinach, mozzarella and pepperoni.  Next time I’m definitely going with more veggies!

DSCN4977 I was so very tempted to break off a piece before it went back in the oven!

DSCN4984But I resisted and it was so worth the 10 minute wait!  Crispy on the outside, soft on the inside and no need for a napkin to “blot” up all the grease….WIN!!

Nourishing Thought for Today:

A Question for you:  What are the things that tempt you most (food or otherwise)?

We live in a world where temptations surround us each and every day and our faith will surely be tested!  However, we can hold on to God’s truth as we know that His Word tells us that “…God is faithful; he will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear.  But when you are tempted, he will also provide a way out so that you can stand up under it.”  1Corinthians 10:13

Stand under the “umbrella” of God’s Word and you will make it through the storm!

umbrella (source)

Blessings,

J’lene

No comments:

Post a Comment