Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Three-Veggie Bread

I know it sounds crazy, because it is just bread, but there is something exhilarating about making a successful gluten free bread!  I’ve had my fair share of failed attempts in the kitchen (and I know there will be more!), but just not this week.  I’m absolutely loving this new Four Flour Bean Mix and had to try it out again last night.  Two of my favorite ways to use up extra veggies is to blend them up in a smoothie…
DSCN3190  In the mix: Amazing Grass (berry flavor); flax meal, 2 handfuls of spinach, strawberries, pineapple, mango and kefir.  So green and so very good!

or shred them up in a loaf of bread (or muffins) like this one!
DSCN3184 Three Veggie-Bread
Yields 1 loaf
Ingredients:
1 1/2 cups Four Flour Bean Mix
1 tsp xanthum gum
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp flax meal
1 tsp lemon zest
2 Tbsp organic brown sugar
1/4 tsp sea salt
1 organic egg + 1 organic egg white
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
1/2 cup shredded carrot (one medium carrot)
1/2 cup shredded zucchini (1/2 of a large zucchini or 1 small zucchini)
1/3 cup orange juice
1 Tbsp honey
2 Tbsp grapeseed oil
Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Prepare loaf pan by lightly coating it with cooking spray.  Set aside.
In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together all the dry ingredients.
In the bowl of a stand mixer, beat together the eggs and vanilla.  Add in the carrot, zucchini, orange juice, honey, and grapeseed oil.  Stir this into the flour mixture and beat until moistened.
Spoon the dough into the prepared loaf pan and bake for about 40 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.  Remove from the pan and cool before slicing.
DSCN3185 No crumbling here!  Perfect for toasting or even enjoying as sandwich bread.
DSCN3187I was a bit afraid that it might turn out a bit soggy because of the moisture from the veggies, but the result was a nice “spongy” texture.
DSCN3188 I loved the slight hint of lemon from the zest and the subtle sweetness from the brown sugar.  It definitely didn’t taste like a “healthy” piece of bread!
Two days in a row with insanely good gluten free bread….too bad it seems to disappear faster than I can make it!  Guess that means I get to bake again tomorrow!  I’ve got some plans for a “Honey-Yogurt” bread churning in my mind!
Speaking of plans…here’s the plan for this week’s running schedule.  It’s hard to believe I’m already in the second to last week of training, which leaves me a bit of time to work on my “timing” before the day of the run.
Week 8
Day 1 - Brisk five-minute warm-up walk, then jog 2.75 miles (or 28 minutes).
Day 2 - Brisk five-minute warm-up walk, then jog 2.75 miles (or 28 minutes).
Day 3 - Brisk five-minute warm-up walk, then jog 2.75 miles (or 28 minutes).
It’s been a bit chilly for my liking in the mornings, so I’ve been blessed to be able to use my parents treadmill this week.  The first time I used it I realized just how much I enjoy running around our neighborhood…staring at a blank wall just isn’t the same!!  It will have to do for this week and prayerfully the days will warm up a little and the sun will shine again.
Blessings,
J’lene

No comments:

Post a Comment