Friday, February 24, 2012

Need Energy!

I literally feel like I stumbled my way through week 7 of training and working out….UGHHH!  It wasn’t my strongest week and I think I have my lack of sleep to blame for it.  Three days of broken sleep to take care of my sick little princess, along with the stresses that the church has brought the hubs and I lately has got me feeling extremely sluggish.   Keeping up with “simple” healthy meals and snacks has definitely helped to keep me going through the day!
Yeah for “Purple Monster” smoothies! (I’d call it a “Green Monster” smoothie, but the blueberries turned it purple!)
DSCN3131In the mix: Amazing Grass (pomegranate/mango infusion), flax meal, kefir, lots of spinach, strawberries, pineapple, blueberries, and kiwi!  One of my favorite so far and it was so refreshing.  A perfect “pick me up” after a hard workout!
This is what my training schedule was supposed to look like this week…
Week 7:
Day 1 - Brisk five-minute warm-up walk, then jog 2.5 miles (or 25 minutes).
Day 2 - Brisk five-minute warm-up walk, then jog 2.5 miles (or 25 minutes).
Day 3 - Brisk five-minute warm-up walk, then jog 2.5 miles (or 25 minutes).

I can honestly say that I tried…I accomplished one good run and two mediocre runs.  I still have 2 weeks left of training and I’m feeling confident that I can accomplish my goal and achieve a sweet victory in the end!
Take one of these and call me in the morning…DSCN3114Crispy Protein and Energy Bars (no-bake and gluten free)
(inspired by Angela @ Oh She Glows)
Yields 12 small bars
Ingredients:
1 cup gluten free rolled oats
1 cup brown rice cereal
1/2 cup protein powder
1 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp sea salt
1/4 cup honey
1/4 cup pure maple syrup
1/2 cup unsalted almond butter
2 tsp pure vanilla extract
1/3 cup dark chocolate chips
1 tsp coconut oil
unsweetened coconut for sprinkling on top (optional)
Directions:
Prepare an 8x8 inch pan by lightly spraying with cooking spray.  Set aside.
In a large mixing bowl, combine the dry ingredients (oats, cereal, protein powder, cinnamon and salt).
In a small saucepan, over low heat, combine the honey, maple syrup and almond butter. Heat through and mix well together.  Remove from heat and stir in vanilla extract.
Pour the wet mixture over the dry ingredients and mix very well with a spoon (the batter will be sticky!). Press batter into prepared pan and smooth out top.
Melt chocolate and coconut oil together (either on the stove or in the microwave).  Spread a very thin layer on top of the bars.  Sprinkle with coconut if desired.
Freeze for 10-15 minutes.  Remove from freezer and cut into bars.  Individually wrap bars and store in the freezer or fridge.
 DSCN3117 The extra dose of protein helped increase the energy factor a bit, not to mention it curbed my chocolate craving for the day! 
DSCN3109 These little bars come together in a snap and give you the sustainable energy you need when you’re on the go! 
On the go we were today…stopping by the library to pick up books for school next week, using up gift cards from Christmas and grocery shopping of course!  Now it’s time to slow down and unwind.  I’m thinking a nice, hot cup of tea with a little T.V. sounds good right about now…night all!
Blessings,
J’lene

No comments:

Post a Comment